Skip to main content

The FASD Center

Using Our Site

Which browser should I use?

Navigating this site will be best with Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator 5.0 or above. Some features, such as videos, work best with newer versions. Installing a browser is easy and free. To install the latest version of Internet Explorer, click here Exit Disclaimer Graphic. To install the latest version of the Netscape browser, click here.

Some files say I need Adobe Acrobat Reader to use them. What is that?

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® is free software that lets you view and print Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF identified by PDF Icon symbol) files. PDF is a universal file format that preserves all the fonts, formatting, graphics, and color of any source document, regardless of the application and platform used to create it. You can download Adobe Acrobat Reader Exit Disclaimer Graphic from Adobe's Web site.

If you use the full version of Adobe™ Acrobat®ister;, you might find that documents appear with errors on the screen. You will need to download the update files from Adobe or download files and open them from your hard drive or network. Documents should print without a problem.

What is Section 508 and how does it affect my use of the site?

Section 508 requires that when Federal agencies develop, procure, maintain, or use electronic and information technology (EIT), Federal employees with disabilities have comparable access to and use of information and data as Federal employees who have no disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed on the agency. Section 508 also requires that individuals with disabilities who are members of the public seeking information or services from a Federal agency have comparable access to and use of information and data as the public without disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed on the agency.

In addition, other Federal regulations and guidelines (e.g., Section 501 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act) require equal access for individuals with disabilities. Therefore, Federal agencies are required, upon request, to provide information and data to individuals with disabilities through an alternative means of access that can be used by the individuals.

I can't read this font. Can I change it?

To change the font in Windows:

  1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options.
  2. A dialogue box will appear displaying Internet Properties. Click the General tab.
  3. Click Accessibility.
  4. Select the changes you want and then click o.k.

The fonts used on the Web site will be replaced with your computer's default font.

If you want to change the font size, first you will need to check the font size option in the Accessibility dialogue box. Then you can set the font size in your browser as follows:

To change the font size in Internet Explorer:

  1. Click View.
  2. Click Text Size
  3. Click the size you want.

To change the font size in Netscape:

  1. Click View.
  2. Click Increase Font to make text larger or Decrease Font to make text smaller.
  3. Repeat as needed to make text the size you want.

How do I watch videos?

To view videos, you need to have a media player installed on your computer. If you have a newer computer, your machine probably came with a media player installed. If you don't have one installed, you can download a media player for free. Videos may be available in several formats: Windows Media Player, QuickTime, or RealPlayer. Click one of the links below to download the media player file you want.

I got an error message when I filled out a form. What do I do?

The most likely reason for an error message is that all mandatory fields have not been completed. Review the form to make sure that you have entered all required fields. If you have any technical problems with our Web site, please use our online feedback form or send an e-mail to

I saw an interesting article I think you should include on your site. What do I do?

We welcome your suggestions. Please fill out our Publication Submission Form. You can also use form to notify us of a publication you cannot find in our database. If you prefer, you can use our online feedback form or e-mail Provide a complete citation (author, title, publication, date, page numbers) and Web address, if appropriate. Please include "Suggestion for Database Entry" or "Suggestion for Press Room Entry" in the subject line.

I have an event I'd like to publicize. What do I do?

You can submit events on our Upcoming Events page. We post a community calendar for events related to fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, alcohol use during pregnancy, and women's issues related to alcohol use.

I have a meeting coming up and I'd like to hand out materials. Do you have anything?

Check out our Grab and Go page. We feature fact sheets, rack cards, and posters for downloading and printing. Some items are available in English and Spanish.

How do I cite an FASD Center publication?

Click here PDF Icon for a list of Center products with recommended citations for each. You may also refer to the SAMHSA Website for additional information about citing SAMHSA materials.