FASD The Course > Module 4: FASD Signs and Symptoms > 5. FASD Signs and Symptoms Throughout the Lifespan
Module 4: FASD Signs and Symptoms
FASD Signs and Symptoms Throughout the Lifespan
Difficulties associated with FASD may appear as early as infancy and continue throughout the
lifespan. Because FASD is lifelong, children will not outgrow their problems. However, the effects
can be lessened. Different issues arise at different times. Understanding the challenges at each
stage of development can help in addressing individual needs. For example, neurological
abnormalities and impaired fine motor skills may appear in different ways, depending on age.
Specific deficits may include:
- Neurosensory hearing loss
- Poor eye-hand coordination
- Difficulty holding objects (fine motor skills)
- Problems with balance and walking
- Inability to look at an object and then move that object or draw that object without looking at
Specific signs and symptoms associated with problems affecting the whole body are shown in the appendix.
Video: Definitions and signs and symptoms of FASD and FAS; Paul Connor, PhD, and Tracy Jirikowic, PhD, discuss issues related to FAS and FASD.